In the past two years, the founders of Empowerment Gateway have been assisting in Lagos, various individuals and families in making their homes not only safer but also more pleasant to live in, thus improving our program beneficiaries, as well as our client's quality of life. Scroll down for our list of services.
Most of our services are geared for people aged 65 and older that reside in the Algarve and find themselves in a situation of social isolation and without a local family support network.
But our teams are also available to provide fee-based services in the Algarve to the general public, with money earned being used to support our free or nominal charges Safe@Home social initiatives.
General Home and Building Maintenance Services
- For qualifying beneficiaries over the age of 70 we provide free labour, materials and consumables basic home maintenance service. For this free service, applicants are assessed and subject to a means test.
- For qualifying beneficiaries over the age of 65, we may provide free labour, but materials and consumables are to be supplied by the applicant. For this partially free service, applicants are assessed and subject to a means test.
- For applicants that fall outside of free or partial fee services, services required will be quoted.
To qualify for the free or partial fee “Safe@Home” assistance:
- Applicant must own and reside in their home and have a fully paid up property, or be up-to-date with mortgage and tax payments.
- Applicant does not own a second home or property.
- Applicant must remain in their home for at least two years after receiving assistance from program.
- Applicant must live in the Algarve.
Typical home jobs that our teams do
- Repair or replacement of doors and windows
- Replacement of broken glass
- Repair and replacement of locks, blinds and shutters
- Replacement of taps, boilers, and kitchen appliances
- Repair and replacement of electricity plugs, light switches, lamps
- Wall painting and small wall repairs
- Basic plumbing
- Basic carpentry works
- Connection and tuning of televisions
- Connecting other electrical equipment in current use
- Cleaning of small yards and verandas
- Moving furniture in the home
- Furniture assembly
- Hanging curtains, pictures
- Home major clean-up
- Decluttering – (Room, home, wardrobe, etc)
- Computer Troubleshooting
- Removal and disposal of old furniture (and small junk)
- Feeding of pets, plant watering (due to hospitalisation of beneficiaries or clients)
At Empowerment Gateway, we do understand that as we get older some household tasks can become a challenge.
Many elders have told us that companionship and conversation is also an important factor to their quality of life. Engaging with our maintenance teams does provide some variety to their day-to-day living. Often, long-term friendships are developed out of this service.
Our Safe@Home Support Service teams go a long way in enabling our beneficiaries and clients to maintain their independence in their own home.
Benefits of the Safe@Home Program
- Improves older people’s physical health
- Improves mental health
- Prevents/reduces risk of unplanned hospital admissions, for example: due to falls
- Reduces GP visits
- Extendes safe, independent living at home
- Improves wellbeing and quality of life
- Has a high rate of Return on Investment - fiscal and societal (For falls, the ROI is 5:1 on each Euro spent)